There is nothing better than cooking a meal for your family and seeing the resounding pleasure from taking bite after bite. One of my favorite things to make that is always a hit is my version of Shepherd’s Pie. If you decide to make this one and don’t have the exact amount of a needed ingredients that is okay, sometimes I omit the corn, use tomato sauce instead of tomato paste, use turkey instead of beef. It always tastes good, so have fun with it!
Check out my personal recipe:
2lbs Ground Beef
½ Cup Red Wine (use more or less depending on taste)
1/3 Cup Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
¼ Cup Tomato Paste (Or ½ cup tomato sauce)
½ cup water
1 Packet Brown Gravy Mix
1 8oz bag of frozen peas and carrots (OR 15oz can of mixed or ½ 15oz can of each)
1 8oz bag of frozen corn (OR 15oz can)
2 Packets of Instant Mashed Potatoes OR 4 Cups of any mashed potatoes
¼ Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Place beef in a skillet with garlic powder, fully cook and drain.
- Add in wine, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato paste, mixing together until tomato paste has been fully incorporated.
- Add ¼ cup water and cover for two minutes or until boiling.
- Sprinkle brown gravy packet in, mixing constantly until combined.
- Add in all vegetables and the rest of the water, mix together and cover again.
- Simmer on medium low for ten minutes.
- Make mashed potatoes while you wait and add in parmesan cheese after they are made.
- Pour beef mixture into 9×13 pan
- Scoop mashed potatoes and place over top of beef mixture, smooth potatoes to fit the entire pan.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese evenly on top of the potatoes.
- Place the pan in the oven and broil on high for 5-10 minutes or until cheddar is browned.
- Serve immediately.
NUTRITION (Serves 8)
Calories: 594cal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 108mg | Sodium:804mg | Potassium: 473mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 12% | Vitamin C: 21%| Iron: 27%| Calcium: 20%