It’s time to figure out what we’re making for dinner! One of my favorite things to do is look around on Pinterest and see what recipes are out there for me to try, among other things. I’m sure I’m not the only one!
Check out this recipe that might be helpful tonight:
These Braised Beef Short Ribs are so tender you can eat them with a spoon. They literally fall apart and are filled with flavor!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 3 Hours, 10 minutes
Total Time: 3 Hours, 20 minutes
Author: Kristy Bernardo
6 lbs beef short ribs (give or take, this doesn’t have to be exact)
2 T canola oil
3 medium onions, chopped
3 medium carrots, chopped (peel if they’re not organic)
2 celery stalks, chopped
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 T tomato paste
1 bottle of dry red wine
32 oz beef stock (preferably low-sodium)
a head of garlic, the top sliced off to expose the cloves
a big handful of herbs (parsley, thyme, oregano, rosemary; a few sprigs of each)
1 bay leaf
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Season ribs with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown short ribs, taking care not to overcrowd your pan (overcrowding will make your ribs steam rather than sear; do in as many batches as necessary to ensure that each rib has a small amount of space around it). Remove ribs and set aside.
- Add onions, carrots, and celery to pot and cook until onions are lightly browned. Add flour and tomato paste; cook a few minutes longer. Return short ribs and any accumulated juices to pan. Pour in wine and beef stock. Add all herbs to pot along with garlic. Bring to a boil, cover, and transfer to oven.
- Cook until short ribs are tender, about 3 hours (they’re ready when they fall apart when you test them). Transfer short ribs to a platter.
- Strain sauce from pot into a gravy strainer; remove fat from surface. Place gravy in saucepan, bring to a boil and simmer until reduced by 1/3. Season to taste.
- Serve ribs over mashed potatoes or creamy polenta and top with gravy.
Calories: 1629kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 122g | Fat: 108g | Saturated Fat: 46g | Cholesterol: 454mg | Sodium: 681mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g |